Dear Family and Friends
One of my favorite things to do is collecting quotes. I used to literally write them on my wall. Then my older brother told me that’s what crazy people do. Then I decided to write them on paper. I kept them in this notebook that I eventually lost. I finally decided to just collect them and send them to people via emails. (If you want to be on the email list let me know). I don’t really have anything profound to say this month, so I decided to go through all of my emails and pick my top 10ish favorite quotes and share why they are pertinent to my life today and what they mean to me.
I had two separate conversations this past month about defining our life’s purpose. I figured out my life’s purpose- to make the most of today because that is all that I have. What that actually looks like from day to day is kinda sloppy. There are some hits and some misses. There are some days that would have been better spent staying in bed, but there were many more days that couldn’t have been lived better.
I scoured all of my old emails to find my favorite quotes. I picked 200 and narrowed it down to 10 that best represent my life’s mission statement.
Actually, I’m not going to write why each quote means something to me. I started to, but things got a little too real, so I erased my comments.
- You are not limited by what you have and don’t have. Biblically, you are limited by what you keep to yourself.
- Whats for me will always be for me. That’s why I relax. I don’t need to compete or seek validation. What’s for me is always for me. You have never really lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.
- The purpose of life is to discover your gift. The meaning of life is to give your gift away/ There are 2 great days in a person’s life: The day they are born, and the day they discover why.
- We build too many walls and not enough bridges.
- Promise me you will not spend so much time treading water and trying to keep your head above the waves that you forget, truly forget, how much you have always loved to swim
- I wish I could save her from always seeing right now as inadequate, simply because the future is uncertain.
- Then peace, like a river, attendeth my way, When sorrows like sea billows roll; Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say, It is well, it is well, with my soul.
- I wish there was a way to know you’re in the good old days before you’ve actually left them
- Always pray to have eyes that see the best in people. A heart that forgives the worst in people. A mind that forgets the bad. And a soul that never loses faith in God
- Don’t let the imaginary person in your head keep you from loving the real one right in front of you.
- “It’s funny how day by day , nothing changes. But when you look back , everything is different.”
But there were sooo many to share…..
- They say money talks, but mine just waves goodbye
- The dream is free. The hustle is sold separately.
- Have you ever met a hater doing better than you? Me neither.
- May my enemies live long so that they will see what I will become
- In order to lead the orchestra you must turn your back to the crowd
- Do not fear what has blown up. If you must, fear the unexploded
- I walk slowly, but I never walk backwards
- Dance is the hidden language of the soul
- Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.
- Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
- The trouble about trouble is that it always starts out fun
About Having Enough
- I remember the days I prayed for the things I have now
- Blessed are those that can give without remembering and receive without forgetting
- Happiness is not having what you want; it’s wanting what you have.
- People were created to be loved, things were created to be used; the reason why the world is in chaos right now is because things are being loved, and people are being used
- We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give
About my faith in God
- How often I forget a simple truth: God provides
- The more you seek God in the silence, the more you will encounter him in the noise.
- We exist to exhibit God, to display His glory. We serve as canvases for His brush stroke, papers for His pen, soil for His seeds, glimpses of His image
- Don’t give God your life back the same way He gave it to you
- Don’t get upset that the Master Sculptor is allowing some pieces to fall away from you
- Even when I can’t feel his manifested present I have to trust in his omnipresence
- Don’t just rely on God for where you are, but for the character of who He is
- God loves you just the way you are. But he loves you too much to let you stay that way.
About comparing my life to other people’s life
- No matter how big your house is, how recent your car is, or how big your bank account is. Our graves will always be the same size. Stay humble my friends.
- When we look at other people’s lives we only see how high the tree goes. We don’t see how deep the roots are planted
- Comparison is an act of violence against yourself
- Don’t compare your background story to someone else’s highlights
About living life
- In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you.
- I no longer have patience for certain things, not because I’ve become arrogant, but simply because I reached a point in my life where I do not want to waste more time with what displeases me or hurts me
- Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.
- The purpose of life is a life of purpose
- The most dangerous risk of all- the risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later
- You have never really lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you
About getting through tough times
- You can’t change everything you face. But you have to face everything you want to change
- I was broken into pieces and reconstructed to be a warrior.
- Life becomes easier when you accept an apology you never got
- “Why are you crying?” “Because there are oceans inside of me and I might be finally learning how to swim”
- sometimes when things fall apart they may be falling into place.
- When we long for life without difficulties, remind us that oaks grow strong in contrary winds and diamonds are made under pressure
- What the caterpillar calls the end of the world the master calls a butterfly
- Know that everything is in perfect order whether you understand it or not
- God turns the broken pieces of our life into a beautiful mosaic